Saturday, November 19, 2011

NaNoWriMo 1 - Me 0 - It's off.

As much as it pains me to do so, I'm quitting NaNo.

I gave it a go.  I really did.  I got myself almost halfway to 50000.

But a good portion of that was forced, and, well... I just couldn't get into the story.

I'm not giving up on the story.  It's a good idea - one that I've been kicking around for years now - but I just couldn't project myself into the story like I could with the last NaNo or the Darian Hunter Files.  I could see myself in those roles and seeing the events occur around me, and I wrote what I saw.

I just... couldn't do that here.  And the pressure I'm feeling about forcing myself to "get 'er done" is making me feel less creative, rather than more.

So it's done for this year.  Stick a fork in it.  I'm not disappointed in my failure, but relieved of the pressure of forcing something that wasn't there.

Its time will come.  Believe me.  But not now.

In the meantime, I feel like I re-opened some creative avenues, and will be working on other things.

To give you an idea. I spent the day watching the first video reviews of my favorite internet reviewers: Todd in the Shadows, the Cinema Snob, and Linkara.  For inspiration.

Coming soon to Cover 2 Cover (I hope): "Calling All Stations"

No comments:

Post a Comment